Meet Our Team
- IPA Certificate of Proficiency in the Phonetics of English
- Diploma of Special Study in Phonetics (University of Westminster)
- CELTA - Cambridge Certificate in Teaching English as a Foreign Language to Adults (Westminster College)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Communications (University of London, Goldsmiths College)
- BSc.Hons Geography (University of Southampton)
I trained in Phonetics at the University of Westminster, London and gained the International Phonetics Association Certificate of Proficiency in the Phonetics of English in June 2000. I have twelve years' experience of teaching accents and elocution/communication skills. My clients include both native and non-native English speakers, such as actors who wish to master a particular accent as well as business people and others who wish to improve their speech and communication skills in their working and daily lives. I have helped many non-native speakers reduce a strong accent so as to make themselves more easily understood and communicate more effectively in English. I offer one-to-one online lessons via Skype video, with each course carefully tailored to the needs of the individual, ensuring that my clients receive consistent, dedicated and high-quality tuition. Aside from teaching accents and voice, I also have extensive experience of teaching English Communication courses to groups and individuals, having been a qualified EFL teacher for the past 14 years. From 1995 to 1999 I taught at the Cambridge Institute, Copenhagen, Denmark, preparing adults for Cambridge English Examinations. For the past 8 years I have taught Business English Communication courses in various London-based companies, such as Bloomberg Television, Walt Disney, Korea Development Bank, UBS Warburg, Credit Suisse, Ernst & Young and Investec, helping clients to brush up their communication skills for presentations and meetings.
- 2012 – Present: MRES/PhD Research Doctorate, L1/L2 Interference, Joint University College London & Reading University
- 2011 Certificate: IPA English Phonetics - University College London
- 2010 - 2012 MA English Language Teaching & Applied Linguistics – King’s College London
- 2005 Diploma: LAMDA – Professional Speech, Voice & Presentation Skills Teaching
- 2001 Certificate: Cambridge English Language Teaching to Adults (CELTA)
- 2001 Royal Institute of British Architects Part 1
- 1998 – 2001 BA Hons Architecture (Class 2:1)
I have been a full time language and speech trainer for the past 13 years. My work teaching on Skype ranges from teaching accent reduction, English pronunciation, voice, speech and accent to teaching English as a Foreign language. My professional background includes the teaching in Executive Language Tutors, London, Business English Trainer & Consultant ELT Training & Development Contracts, Nano-Marketing LLP, Japan, Mubadala Investment & Development Company, Abu-Dhabi, UAE, Espirito Santo Investment Bank, London & Portugal, Business English Trainer, Greenlight Marketing, London, Business English Trainer, iTeach, Canterbury University – PGCE TESOL Online Teacher Trainer, Mitsubishi Utilities & Securities International, London, Business English Trainer, BRE Bank SA, Warsaw, Business English Trainer, Shoko Chukin Bank, London, UK Executive English Language Assistant.
- English Language Teacher and Teacher Trainer
- DELTA – Diploma in English Language Teaching to Adults
- CELTA - Cambridge English Language teaching to Adults Certificate
- Specialist in developing language methodologies for non-native and native teachers of English
- Has worked as an Academic Director in both London and Spain
Vanessa is currently doing a Masters in Applied Linguistics to develop her knowledge further. As she has lived, studied and taught in both Italy and Spain, she is well aware of how difficult it can be to learn another language and feel confident using it as a tool of communication. Having taught English for nearly 20 years, Vanessa has helped many people to develop their language skills and has trained dozens of trainees to become successful English Language Teachers. During the last decade, she has successfully set up, written and delivered a range of Teacher Training courses. In addition to this, she as worked as an Academic Director in both London and Spain. Vanessa utilises her experience and her skills to help students obtain their linguistic goals using creative methodologies and confidence building strategies. She now lives in London and holds Enhanced Disclosure CRB to work with young learners and vulnerable adults. As a Teacher and Teacher Trainer, Vanessa is constantly developing and perfecting her methodologies to deliver tailor made classes for a range of learners. She designs a great deal of the material she uses in the classroom herself and is currently writing a resource book for teachers.
- 2007 Qualified Teacher Status (Outstanding) attained from the General Teaching Council on the Graduate Teacher Training Programme at Roehampton University
- 1990 Post Graduate Diploma in Acting (Distinction) from Drama Studio London
- 1989 Diploma in TEFL (Distinction) from St Giles College, London
- 1988 BA Hons 2:1 in Drama from Exeter University, UK
I initially trained as an English teacher at St Giles College, London and subsequently continued to develop my teaching skills at the Graduate Teacher Training Programme at Roehampton University. In addition, I am a trained actress and have wide experience in accent and voice training. I have 20+ years of teaching experience and work with a variety of native and non-native speakers who are looking to improve their speaking skills and acquire skills to pick up accents. I have a broad base of experience to draw on, which enables me to understand the needs of students. I have an understanding both as an actor and as a teacher of how to approach learning a new accent. In addition to my voice training as an actress, I am also a qualified yoga teacher, and have an intrinsic understanding of the importance of breath in voice and speech production. Many of my clients find that techniques for breathing and mindfulness are really helpful in preparing them for roles and presentations.
I have also worked as an EFL Teacher in the UK (for Professional Language Studies, Lancaster Gate, and at Oxford House School in London), in Spain (at the Alcira Language School in Valencia) and Brazil (where I worked for 2 years as a Lecturer at the National University of Brasilia (UNB) taking courses in Voice and Text and Movement). I was an Actor/Teacher on European tours with English Teaching Theatre for 3 years.
I am also highly experienced in teaching children. I spent 6 years as a Class Teacher at Waverley Abbey School in Surrey, UK planning and teaching all subjects to 30 children. I was also Literacy Co-ordinator with responsibility for developing Reading throughout the school and Head of Drama, which included LAMDA examination preparation and Theatre Festival preparation. I have also been a Primary Teacher at Saci Bilingual School in Juiz de Fora, MG, Brazil. I spent 2 years as a GCSE English Tutor for Harrison Allen Education Services in Wandsworth, London
- International House, Buenos Aires; English teacher, January to May 2012
- ELC (English Language Centre) in Reading, English teacherJune to October 2011
- CELTA, International House, London in 2006 (pass B)
- CELTA, Intensive MBA Residential, UK - 2002
- Banff Executive Leadership Training, Canada - 2000
- BA Hons French and Spanish (University of Durham)
I have specialised in teaching Business English for the past 7 years, particularly in the area of Marketing under the Business English umbrella. I have tailored courses for specific one-to-one clients, including a month-long presentation skills and project management course for the CEO of a petroleum country in West Africa. I also planned a summer course for a group of Korean Samsung employees in the UK as well as in-house training for HSBC and Sony. I currently teach students from Argentina, Japan, Russia and from different parts of the UK via Skype video. I specialise in teaching students IELTS, Cambridge exam courses (FCE, CAE, CPE) as well as GCSE, AS and A level French. I also currently write copy and edit copy for the HQ of Siemens based out of Munich.
Prior to becoming a teacher, I worked in the film industry for 14 years (1995-2009), specialising in Marketing and rose to become Managing Director of Momentum Pictures, a large independent film distributor. I had a team of 40 people and oversaw all the financial, sales and marketing of the UK division.
The Voice/speech FAQ section of the Audio Study Zone has been created between Lindsey Lawson and Christina Keiller; BA Rhetoric, MA Rhetoric (University of Copenhagen), NVQ 4* Guidance. Christina is a voice coach, rhetoric specialist and careers counsellor.
- Linguistics Degree (Major), specializing in Phonetics University of Calgary
- Business Degree (Minor), University of Calgary
- Specialist in American and Canadian accents, works with American accent softening for advanced non-native speakers of English
- Tutor of English, Phonetics and Pronunciation; over the past 3 years has worked students from the ages of five to adult, from a variety of social and educational backgrounds.
- TEFL certification in progress
I specialize in teaching American and Canadian Accents. I am fascinated with the way phonology, speech rhythm and intonation vary in such a subtle but distinct way between accents.
I’ve worked with students of various nationalities who wish to soften a strong accent and attain the American and Canadian accents, and helped my students gain a more natural sounding tone through voice placement, phonetics, speech rhythm and tone/inflection practice. Furthermore my experience in business has allowed me to develop extensive skills in teaching business English communication skills to various levels of student, ranging from topics such as writing formal letters and advanced phrasing techniques, to intonation and elevator pitches in public speaking situations.
In addition, I’ve worked to help individuals with articulation clarity and overcoming the tendency to mumble.