Vowels a, u, e in cat, cut, get
Sound 1; short sound
cat, sand, bad, bat, lack. pan, ban, fan, marry, tax, match, haven’t, cab, sad, happy, apple, thank, Manchester, arrow, cash, cancel, fantastic, plastic, drastic, plait.
Spelling: (a, ai)
Sound 2; long sound
cut, cup, but, luck, pun, fun, Murray, tuck, much, sun, son, money, one, London, thorough, come, income, other, tough, southern, country, flood, does.
Sound 3; long sound
get, kept, send, bed, bet, pen, Ben, fen, merry, twenty, very, berry, pleasant, steady, ready, head, whether, any, Thames, says, said, friend, Leicester, bury.
Compare sounds 1 & 2
bat – but – bet, sand – sunned – send, marry – Murray – merry.
- There’s just too much tax on too many men.
- Can you let me some money to send to my brother?
- The berries were buried under the fence.
- Murray’s getting married in Manley on Monday.
- The other one is much more thorough, Anna.
The sounds in accents below marked * do not always correspond with the above picture and phonemic symbol. Click on accent names below for diagrams and more details.